Re: BDB4 from pkgsrc

On 07-04-2007 16:10:30 +0200, Jukka Salmi wrote:
> > Suspicions are confirmed (this is Mutt 1.5.15 on Solaris).  Without the
> > pkgsrc patch, configure uses as include usr/include// (note the slash),
> > and db-4.5.  Before I submitted this patch that supports 4.4 and 4.5,
> > the include was still the same, seeing headers of db4.5, while linking
> > with -ldb4.3.
>
> Which bdb versions do you have installed? Which are the paths to the
> include files and to the libraries?

 sys-libs/db
     selected: 4.5.20_p2 4.4.20_p4 4.3.29-r2

% equery files db | grep lib
<prefix>/usr/lib
<prefix>/usr/lib/libdb-4.5.a
<prefix>/usr/lib/libdb-4.5.la
<prefix>/usr/lib/libdb-4.5.so
<prefix>/usr/lib/libdb_cxx-4.5.a
<prefix>/usr/lib/libdb_cxx-4.5.la
<prefix>/usr/lib/libdb_cxx-4.5.so
<prefix>/usr/lib
<prefix>/usr/lib/libdb-4.4.a
<prefix>/usr/lib/libdb-4.4.la
<prefix>/usr/lib/libdb-4.4.so
<prefix>/usr/lib/libdb_cxx-4.4.a
<prefix>/usr/lib/libdb_cxx-4.4.la
<prefix>/usr/lib/libdb_cxx-4.4.so
<prefix>/usr/lib
<prefix>/usr/lib/libdb-4.3.a
<prefix>/usr/lib/libdb-4.3.la
<prefix>/usr/lib/libdb-4.3.so
<prefix>/usr/lib/libdb_cxx-4.3.a
<prefix>/usr/lib/libdb_cxx-4.3.la
<prefix>/usr/lib/libdb_cxx-4.3.so

% equery files db | grep include
<prefix>/usr/include
<prefix>/usr/include/db4.5
<prefix>/usr/include/db4.5/db.h
<prefix>/usr/include/db4.5/db_185.h
<prefix>/usr/include/db4.5/db_cxx.h
<prefix>/usr/include
<prefix>/usr/include/db4.4
<prefix>/usr/include/db4.4/db.h
<prefix>/usr/include/db4.4/db_185.h
<prefix>/usr/include/db4.4/db_cxx.h
<prefix>/usr/include
<prefix>/usr/include/db4.3
<prefix>/usr/include/db4.3/db.h
<prefix>/usr/include/db4.3/db_185.h
<prefix>/usr/include/db4.3/db_cxx.h

Additionally I have a symlink usr/include/db.h pointing to db4.5/db.h.
Similar usr/lib/libdb.so is pointing to libdb-4.5.so.  For Darwin this
is the same, but with .dylibs.

> > This also explains why other people report success with db 4.3, it is
> > simply the header/library mismatch that breaks things.  Maybe mutt's
> > configure can check for this.  It looks like the configure checks for
> > Berkely DB aren't optimal.  Maybe Mutt can borrow some of the logic from
> > apr-util in this regard?
>
> Yes, probably it would be best to provide additional configure options,
> e.g. `--with-bdb-incdir=DIR' and `--with-bdb-libdir=DIR' as Cyrus
> IMAP's configure script does.

Sort of, yes.

> But maybe it's easier to use QDBM instead... ;-)

Currently Gentoo doesn't have this database backend supported for Mutt.
I don't know why, but I guess trying to get it compiled is a start.

--
Fabian Groffen
Gentoo on a different level