Re: IMAP: UNSEEN not honoured until first mail_check

On Wednesday, 04 April 2007 at 14:26, Jukka Salmi wrote:
> Hi,
>
> if none of the mailboxes which Mutt checks for new messages contain
> new messages, but some of them contain unseen ones, these mailboxes
> are not shown when issuing `change-folder' from the index menu right
> after starting Mutt, i.e. until Mutt checks for new mail for the first

This behaviour is intentional. It is more in line with the other
mailbox formats, and meant to quell the stream of $imap_recent patches
that pour into the list. Treating Old as New was a side effect of some
new mail detection reworking, which has only existed for about 3
developer revisions IIRC.

> time. Only after $mail_check seconds a `New mail in [...]' notification
> is shown in the status bar, listing all mailboxes with unseen messages.
> After this `change-folder' behaves as expected, i.e. also listing these
> mailboxes.

This is not. You're never supposed to be pinged about mailboxes unless
they have actual new mail any more. I'll see if I can figure out
what's going on, and a .muttdebug0 from mutt -d3 (off-list) would be
helpful.

I've been thinking for a while we might need a $mail_check_old
variable, since both behaviours have their devotees. I just haven't
thought about how to implement it efficiently for other mailbox types
than IMAP.