Re: Why does a maildir resync take 4mn?

Hi,

* Marc MERLIN [07-03-27 08:33:27 -0700] wrote:

I have
set     folder="~/Maildir/"
set     header_cache="~/Maildir/"
set     maildir_header_cache_verify = no

The header cache definitely helps, I can open a 40,000 message maildir in
seconds instead of several minutes.
However, if the parent directory of the folder I'm viewing, gets modified
(let's say I'm in ~/Maildir/.snd/ and I send a new mail), mutt takes a silly
time to resync the folder, like 4mn for 40,000 messages.

Is there anything I can do to make mutt more bearable in this case like this?
Why is mutt resyncing everything when I do have maildir_header_cache_verify
set to no? What else can I do to stop this?

I didn't explicitely check, but maildir_header_cache_verify only prevents a stat() call per message since stat() is slow on NFS. But I doubt the difference is that huge.

I guess mutt is spending some time on sorting. How about the system load during that period? Can you use top(1) to figure out in what state mutt is (maybe in addition to running it with -d)?

  bye, Rocco
--
:wq!