Re: mutt/2630: color indicator doesn't accept regex as described in manual

The following reply was made to PR mutt/2630; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Alain Bench <veronatif@xxxxxxx>
To: bug-any@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: Sweth Chandramouli <mutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: mutt/2630: color indicator doesn't accept regex as described in
manual
Date: Sun, 25 Mar 2007 17:44:40 +0200 (CEST)

 Hello Sweth, and thank you for reporting us this problem.

  On Tuesday, December 19, 2006 at 22:54:46 +0100, Sweth Chandramouli wrote:

 > The mutt manual indicates that the "color" command for objects other
 > than the index accepts an optional final argument of a regexp; "color
 > indicator" rejects a regexp as the final argument, however.

     Yes. In "Usage: color object foreground background [ regexp ]", the
 regexp is not really optional, but either prohibited or mandatory,
 depending on the object. And the list of objects states which ones want
 a regexp. The indicator object doesn't take a regexp (just like
 attachment, bold, error, hdrdefault, and some such...).

     This documentation seems rather clear to me, as it is. Would you (or
 anyone else) have a suggestion enhancing the clarity of this point?

 > :color indicator blue default "mutt.org"

     Note that adding regexp support to indicator was previously
 discussed and rejected due to needless muttrc overcomplexity (see
 wish/1717 at <URL:http://bugs.mutt.org/1717>). The usual solution is to
 set color index at will, and use the default "mono indicator reverse".

 Bye!   Alain.
 --
 Everything about locales on Sven Mascheck's excellent site at new
 location <URL:http://www.in-ulm.de/~mascheck/locale/>. The little tester