Re: format=flowed breakage

On 2007-03-20 11:00:51 +0000, Rocco Rutte wrote:
> From: Rocco Rutte <pdmef@xxxxxxx>
> To: Mutt developers <mutt-dev@xxxxxxxx>
> Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2007 11:00:51 +0000
> Subject: Re: format=flowed breakage
>
> Hi,

> * Thomas Roessler [07-03-20 10:46:04 +0100] wrote:
> >On 2007-03-20 10:27:04 +0100, Thomas Roessler wrote:

> >>As an aside, the code used to implement this (in the instance around
> >>line 816 of rfc2047.c) looks like an incredibly convoluted and
> >>inefficient way of saying something like this:

> >>  if (islwsp (*s))
> >>  {
> >>    *d = ' ';
> >>    d++;
> >>    dlen--;
> >>  }
> >>    while (islwsp (*s) && *s)
> >>    s++;

> >Yikes.  This looks as follows in the message on the wire.

> >SP SP SP } CR LF
> >SP SP SP CR LF
> >SP SP SP while ...

> >The new format=flowed handler pulls these lines together and
> >therefore messes up the formatting of the code.

> Can you please forward such a mail to me privately please?

> It shouldn't pull all 3 lines together but only lines 2 and 3 since line 2
> has a SP before CRLF.

What it is pulling together were lines 2 and 3, and that's precisely
what hit me unexpectedly.

The message in question went through the mutt-dev list, in the
thread about strict_mime.

Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2007 10:27:04 +0100

> Reverting and going back to the old one will fix the display
> problem in mutt for sure, but not in other mailers since they may
> interpret f=f correctly and hence may flow these lines and mess
> up the display.

I disagree that the old mutt behavior is incorrect (to the best of
my knowledge, there is nothing that says a message MUST be
reflowed), but agree that other mailers' behavior might indeed point
at an error at the time of composing the message.

> format=flowed is often refered to as "format=flawed" just because
> of exactly these issues... :)

Good point. ;)

--
Thomas Roessler   <roessler@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>