Re: Remove absolute paths from gpg.rc

On 15Mar2007 20:25, David Champion <dgc@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
| I can think of two compromises:
| * as Thomas Dickey suggested, detect gpg at compile time and insert
|   the correct path into the installed muttrc files;

I would vote for this one. Maybe insert /usr/bin (and other standard places,
by OS distribution) at the front of the $PATH _during_ the detection phase to
reduce user $PATH weirdness trouble. And supply a configure --with-gpg= to
specify a path to override the detector, if there's one in configure.

| * enforce a sane PATH within mutt.  This could, perhaps should be
|   limited to stripping out relative paths.

I'd oppose this. I hate apps that screw with my $PATH; they break
things.

| Failing something like this, I'd say it's preferable to make things
| portable than to make things... *cough* "secure".

Me too. If someone wants gpg, and they have weirded up their $PATH (I do,
for example) then _they_ have made their environment unusual and it's
their problem. The default system $PATH should reach a trustable gpg
if present. So for me, no absolute paths in the muttrc example would be
just fine.
--
Cameron Simpson <cs@xxxxxxxxxx> DoD#743
http://www.cskk.ezoshosting.com/cs/

The govt MUST regulate the Net NOW! We can't have average people saying
what's on their minds!  - ezwriter@xxxxxxxxxx