Re: mutt/1116: Fails to thread properly without an @ in msg ID

The following reply was made to PR mutt/1116; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Christoph Berg <cb@xxxxxxxx>
To: bug-any@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: Adrian Irving-Beer <wisq-deb@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: mutt/1116: Fails to thread properly without an @ in msg ID
Date: Mon, 5 Mar 2007 11:35:15 +0100

 Hi Adrian,

 I forwarded your Debian Bug #300327 to the mutt BTS a few days ago
 (http://bugs.mutt.org/1116) and there's been some discussion:

 Re: Cameron Simpson 2007-03-03 <20070303004550.GA23730@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
 > On 02Mar2007 13:05, Thomas Roessler <roessler@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
 > |  Part of the problem is that there's little way to extract
 > |  message-IDs from "In-Reply-To" headers -- except looking for valid
 > |  syntax.
 >
 > Well, you could always use a forgiving syntax that allowed "@" to
 > be optional for parsing purposes, something like a "<[^>]*>" regexp
 > instead of "<[^@>]*@[^@>]*>" (yes, I know the rRFC token stream is more
 > complicated than that).
 >
 > It would let you thread in the face of this particular type of syntax
 > bustedness, though of course arbitrary other bustedness may not be handled.
 >
 > However, mutt should never emit a bad message-id, and so what do you put
 > in References: or In-Reply-To: for such a message?  It's a slippery slope,
 > and I don't like it much.
 >
 > Maybe we're asking the wrong question.
 >
 > Christoph, where do these bogus message-ids come from?

 Out of curiosity, do you have an example around where these
 message-ids are generated?

 Christoph
 --
 cb@xxxxxxxx | http://www.df7cb.de/