Re: mutt/1116: Fails to thread properly without an @ in msg ID

The following reply was made to PR mutt/1116; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Cameron Simpson <cs@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: bug-any@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: cb@xxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: mutt/1116: Fails to thread properly without an @ in msg ID
Date: Fri, 2 Mar 2007 15:18:42 +1100

 On 27Feb2007 21:15, Christoph Berg <cb@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
 |  If a message lacks an @ ('at') symbol in the Message-ID field, Mutt
 |  refuses to connect messages to it, even if they correctly specify the
 |  In-Reply-To header.
 |
 |  Further, connecting a thread manually using the '&' key (link-threads)
 |  lasts only while that mailbox index is open.  Reopening the mailbox
 |  loses the linkage.
 |
 |  Specifying a Message-ID without a domain is highly unusual, and goes
 |  against a 'RECOMMENDED' clause in RFC 2822, but the only 'MUST' clause
 |  relating to Message-ID is that it be unique.

 Hmm. RFC822 says:

    msg-id      =  "<" addr-spec ">"            ; Unique message id
    addr-spec   =  local-part "@" domain

 RFC2822 says:

   msg-id          =       [CFWS] "<" id-left "@" id-right ">" [CFWS]

 I don't see, regardless of any other verbiage you may find, how that can
 possibly be read as allowing "@" to be optional.

 I imagine you have read this text in RFC2822:

   Using a date on the left hand side and a domain name or domain literal on
   the right hand side makes it possible to guarantee uniqueness since no two
   hosts use the same domain name or IP address at the same time.  Though
   other algorithms will work, it is RECOMMENDED that the right hand side
   contain some domain identifier [...]

 That DOES NOT say that the "@" is optional. It says that the text on the
 right of the "@" need not be a domain.

 If you have other text from the RFC in mind, please quote it.

 Thanks,
 --
 Cameron Simpson <cs@xxxxxxxxxx> DoD#743
 http://www.cskk.ezoshosting.com/cs/

 in rec.moto, jsh wrote:
 > Dan Nitschke wrote:
 > > Ged Martin wrote:
 > > > On Sat, 17 May 1997 16:53:33 +0000, Dan Nitschke scribbled:
 > > > Yeah, yeah, that's what you're saying in _public_....
 > > Feh. You know nothing of my dreams. I dream entirely in text (New Century
 > > Schoolbook bold oblique 14 point), and never in color. I once dreamed I
 > > was walking down a flowchart of my own code, and a waterfall of semicolons
 > > was chasing me. (I hid behind a global variable until they went by.)
 > You write code in a proportional serif? No wonder you got extra
 > semicolons falling all over the place.
 No, I *dream* about writing code in a proportional serif font.
 It's much more exciting than my real life.
 /* dan: THE Anti-Ged -- Ignorant Yank (tm) #1, none-%er #7 */
 Dan Nitschke  peDANtic@xxxxxxxx  nitschke@xxxxxxxxxxxx