Re: [2007-01-03] CVS repository changes

Hi,

* Thomas Roessler [07-01-03 04:00:41 +0000] wrote:
2007-01-02 17:10:34  roessler  (roessler)

        * globals.h, lib.c, lib.h, mutt.h, mutt_socket.c, muttlib.c,
        pgppacket.c, protos.h: add debug harness to lib.c functions,
        and a bunch of dprint's to safe_rename().

Apropos debugging: for some time now I hate the debug levels mutt provides since it sometimes takes ages to search for certain things especially when the debug level increases.

I thought of adding "types" or "bits" of debug output instead of levels which can be turned on and off. In the code, a debug message could be defined to belong to any number of types by ORing some bits. The user could then say "give me all debug output for imap and pop but no socket traffic and no hcache output" via:

  -d imap,pop,nosocket,nohcache

or similar. The current debug levels of 1..5 could be made aliases so nobody would even notice a change.

An implementation of this would be trivial and the macro implementation can be kept; only a tiny parser for the debug bits is required.

Comments?

  bye, Rocco
--
:wq!