Let us demand rule of law ---Prof. S.A.Alam

Center for Good Governance

   (A Non political Research Center for awareness movement on good governance)

                                          Website: www.goodgovernancebd.org

Respected Patriot Citizens,

 We celebrated the 35 th anniversary of our victory day. We were victorious against occupation forces from outside but now we feel defeated by the inside evil force. The society, nation, is at stake. We fought for independence, social justice, democracy & human rights. Only independence was won but rule of law, good governance is still a far cry.

Some corrupt leaders, bureaucrats and business syndicates created a vicious cycle of exploitation and an axis of evil coalition. Every citizen's heart is crying.

Let us go in action in our own circle in our own way to create awareness so that honest, apt and patriotic people gets the leadership. The 9 th parliamentary election may be an opportune moment which we can skillfully utilize for designing our destiny towards a democratic people's government.

Let us make it known that we are not merely the passive voters, we are also active citizen and above all the owner the country. We don't want "democracy for the party, we don't want government for the party", but we want "government of the people, by the people & for the people". We have lots of demands & they have to be fulfilled. Visit Bangladesh 's only good governance website: www.goodgovernancebd.org

The CGG appeals to the patriotic citizen of Bangladesh (home & abroad) to give all out efforts to convince our political parties to soul search regarding the following issues:

  • Why we live in a society where still "might is right" dominates?
  • After 35 years of independence why still we see poverty, social inequality & misrule.
  • Why parliament is autocratic, ineffective and government remain non accountable?
  • Why Bangladesh consecutively score high in the corruption perception index published by TIB?
  • What are the future promises of the political parties who will compete election for power?

As conscious citizen, we demand the following for good governance within the period of the 9th parliament.

  1. Separate judiciary as per the mandate of the constitution within the first year of the next government.
  2. Initiate the amendment of article 70 of the constitution.
  3. Speaker should be given to the ruling party and Deputy Speaker should be taken from the opposition. Form the parliamentary committees within the first month of the life of each parliament.
  4. Make the anti corruption commission free under ombudsman, if necessary by amending the act.
  5. Keep all the educational institutions above partisan politics and ensure not to appoint MPs as Chairman of governing bodies of educational institution.
  6. Create an efficient, honest and a neutral police force with proper professional attitudes. Allow them to work judiciously; in case of corruption and abuse of law.
  7. Introduce administrative ombudsman so that bureaucracy can remain professional & neutral & the bureaucracy can work above all partisan influences.
  8. Activate the local government institutions with adequate decentralization of power and authority. The role and functions of MPs should be restricted within the legislative affairs.
  9. Practice of intra & inter party democracy including disclosure of sources of finance of political parties.
  10.  Come to a national consensus among the political parties about amending the Non-party Caretaker system so that the present debate may be solved.

Respected Patriot Citizens

These are not the only demands which the political parties' should address before and after the election. You may raise many other demands related to good governance. It has been observed with utter frustration that political parties of all hues talk untiringly on free, fair & peaceful election but none of them are telling the people what they are going to do for the people after winning the election. It seems, to them (political parties) "we are mere their voters, No more no less. We have no other choice but to vote any of them-----any of the symbols."

Let us make it known that we are not merely publics & passive voters, we are also active citizen and above all the owner of the country. We have lots of demands. The political parties have to fulfill our demands for getting our votes. We will not be slave of symbols. We can & will choose best and honest candidates amongst the lot.

Truly Yours

Prof. Syed Ahsanul Alam

University of Chittagong & Chairman, Center for Good Governance, Fax: 880-31-2550872

E-mail: centerforgoodgovernance@yahoo.com,

Website: www.goodgovernancebd.org

Author Syed Ahsanul Alam is an Associate Professor of marketing at the Univ. of Chittagong, Bangladesh, & Chairman, Center for Good Governance. He lectured widely at university of science & technology, Open University, ABAC Thailand and also in Singapore. Mr. Alam has contributed articles to leading business journals & is also editor of professional journals. His recent administrative post includes Vice Rector IIBT ( Premier University), Treasurer USTC (SWC), Honorary Special Representative of the President, USTC. Rotarian Syed Ahsanul Alam is a well known academician, institution building personality and an activist for Good Governance.

Center for Good Governance Website: www.goodgovernancebd.org

Author's email:  centerforgoodgovernance@xxxxxxxxx , Fax: 880-31-2550872