Re: Port MH/Maildir to new progress updating

On 20Nov2006 22:09, patrick shanahan <ptilopteri@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
| * Cameron Simpson <cs@xxxxxxxxxx> [11-20-06 21:55]:
| > It would also be _really_ nice if the progress counted down, not up.
|
| But, if it counts down, it would have to first determine the number to
| count down from....  ?? read the folders twice ??
| or do I not understand (quite possibly :^) )?

When it's reading the flags, the opendir/readdir/closedir can't know
the number of filenames until it's finished, sure. But that's really
fast. Reading message content (indeed, just stat()ing the messages)
is much slower and happens later. At that time you know the message count.
--
Cameron Simpson <cs@xxxxxxxxxx> DoD#743
http://www.cskk.ezoshosting.com/cs/

With searching comes loss