Re: mutt/2140: message-hook and patterns, [: invalid command

Moin moin,

I've just list-replied, please forward to interested parties not
subscribed.

Note, if you want to record your replies with the BTS, you must
reply to the "bugs-any@..." addr _ONLY_ and not mutt-dev@...!
(your post hasn't been recorded there)

=- Ben Love wrote on Thu 16.Nov'06 at 19:27:15 -0500 -=

> When trying to set something like this:
>       folder-hook . set index_format="%F %C"
> on startup I get this error:
>       %C: unknown variable
>
> The problem appears to be the space directly in front of the %C.
> If the space is removed the command works properly, even if the
> output is ugly. After searching the Internet I found some
> examples that seemed to work, namely:
>       folder-hook . 'set index_format="%F %c"'
>
> The command is wrapped in single quotes and everything works
> fine. This also seems to work:
>       folder-hook . set index_format="%F\\ %c"
>
> If this is correct behaviour (which it seems like it is), then
> it should probably be noted in the man page and/or manual that
> an extra pass of translation is performed with <command> on hook
> directives (and maybe other places?).

See http://WIKI.mutt.org/?PatternQuoting for details.
I'm not sure whether this behaviour is documented at all or well
enough to be learned from the manual alone/ directly.

Even if it seems insignificant, in fact EVERY effort counts
for a shared task, at least to show your deserving attitude.