Re: menu_context question

Alain -

Thank you very much for this very clean and complete answer.

> > I like the fact that menu_scroll gives good context, but I don't like
> > that it only goes down one message at a time.
>
>     Unclear: You mean you prefer to unset $menu_scroll and use
> <next-entry>? Or prefer to use <next-page>?

>     Let me rephrase: You would prefer to see lines 1 to 34 cursor on 34,
> then <next-entry> shows 30-63c35. With 5 lines of old context. Right?

What I thought I preferred is to unset menu_scroll and to use both
next-entry and next-page.  I prefer when paging to have context lines,
whether I use next-entry or next-page.  The difference then between
next-entry and next page for my preference is where the cursor is.  If I
see 1-34c34, and next-entry, I would like to see 30-63c35 (as you
suggest).  Whereas if I see 1-34c(k) for some variable k, and I
next-page, I would like to see 30-63c(k+29).

>  - Seems against the "margin" concept.
>  - Non immediatly reversible: <previous-entry> would have to be pressed
> 6 times to come back to previous page. When today 1 time suffices.
>  - Anyway 6*<previous-entry> would not exactly reverse to 1-34c34, but
> to 1-34c29.

These things I am content to live without.  However, until your post, it
did not occur to me that I could set /both/ menu_scroll and
menu_context.  I am going to play with that for a while and see how I
like it.

>  -3) Cursor-driven movements in no-scroll mode also push the page
> border, by margin or more. Triggering implicit page jumps. With context
> lines kept only as a happy side effect of simply requiring the cursor
> bar to be on the target entry *and* inside the visible screen.

So one thought I have here is that perhaps I would be as happy if there
were simply some way to set-apart the margin so that I would visually be
ready for the page jump when scrolling.  For example, if I could use,
say ~M to match messages in the margin of the current viewport, then I
could either use colors to shade the margin, or index_format to
otherwise mark messages in the margin.  Would that even work though?
(Since the messages that match are based on viewport, and not a property
of the message itself)

Thanks -
Chip

--