Re: NNTP Patch

    Hi, Travis Poppe!

Sometime (on Wednesday, August 30 at 19:41) I've received something...
>Recently I have rekindled my interest in Usenet. After deciding which
>groups I would like to follow, I set out to learn how to make Mutt talk
>to my NNTP server. As I have always associated Usenet and email as
>being very similar if not almost one in the same, I was very surprised
>to find that Mutt does not natively support NNTP. Fortunately, a
>seemingly well-rounded patch has been maintained (by Vsevolod Volkov)
>for recent versions of Mutt to add NNTP functionality.

>Shortly after getting Mutt setup and finding it to be exactly what I was
>looking for in a news reader, I set out to make sense of why it was
>never made official. From what I can tell, this decision was made based
>on sentiments that email and news don't belong together, something I
>don't understand. Myself and many others feel that Mutt makes a great
>news reader, benefiting from many of the same features that make Mutt a
>great email client. It seems unfortunate for such divide over something
>that can be turned into a compile time option; coveted by those who use
>it, not noticed by those who don't.

>From what I've read in the list archives, there are a handful of others
>who share my sentiment that Usenet reads like a mailing list and can be
>treated that way. If I have missed anything or have made any unfair
>generalizations/assumptions, please note them. I've written this post
>because I would like to see Mutt support NNTP, and the topic seems to
>have been left in a gray area.

    I've tried to convince maintainer of whole project to do that since
I've got first stable version of NNTP support (it was when Mutt was yet
0.96 version, at middle of 1999). Unfortunately, I could not do something
with it and I've left these tries and even don't maintain it anymore (as
you know, Vsevolod does great work for that). I wish You better luck! :)

    With best wishes.
    Andriy.