Re: mutt/2430: mutt group aliases behave inconsistently

The following reply was made to PR mutt/2430; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Michael Tatge <Michael.Tatge@xxxxxx>
To: Mutt Developers <mutt-dev@xxxxxxxx>
Cc: bug-any@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: mutt/2430: mutt group aliases behave inconsistently
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2006 03:22:59 +0200

 * On Sun, Aug 20, 2006 kyle-mutt-dev@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx muttered:
 > >Number:         2430
 > >Category:       mutt
 > >Synopsis:       mutt group aliases behave inconsistently
 > If you create a group alias, like so:
 > alias friends All My Friends <a@xxxxx>, <b@xxxxx>, <c@xxxxx>
 > then when composing a message to that group, the "to" list shows up
 > like this:
 > All My Friends <a@xxxxx>, b@xxxxx, c@xxxxx - note that the wockas (<>)
 > have been removed from the subsequent addresses.
 > it's kinda weird

 So it removes the unneeded <>. Why is that weird?
 Note that <> are only needed when you have a real name part.
 so a@xxxxx is fine
 some guy <a@xxxxx> <> needed. Consequently mutt removes the unnecessary
 brackets.
 Lets, brake the alias down:

 alias friends All My Friends <a@xxxxx>, <b@xxxxx>, <c@xxxxx>
 cmd   alias   real name to a@xxxxx    , b@xxxxx  , c@xxxxx

 Maybe =BBAll My Friends=AB should be the group name?
 alias friends All My Friends: joe black <a@xxxxx>, some guy <b@xxxxx>, c@=
 d.com;

 > For most MTA's, this is merely a cosmetic issue

 For every mta it ought to be cosmetic. Otherwise it's a hughe bug.
 rfc822

 Michael
 --=20
 The only "intuitive" interface is the nipple.  After that, it's all learn=
 ed.
                -- Bruce Ediger, bediger@xxxxxxxxxxxx, on X interfaces

 PGP-Key-ID: 0xDC1A44DD
 Jabber:     init[0]@amessage.de