Re: mutt/2402: damaged regexps in folder-hooks

The following reply was made to PR mutt/2402; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Rocco Rutte <pdmef@xxxxxxx>
To: bug-any@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: mutt/2402: damaged regexps in folder-hooks
Date: Thu, 3 Aug 2006 10:29:40 +0000

 Hi,

 * Alain Bench [06-08-03 07:31:38 +0200] wrote:

 >    In Mutt 1.5.10 and more, the regexp in folder-hooks can
 >be damaged in some circumstances, leading to false positive
 >matches. That seems to happen when the regexp both: Has
 >uppercase characters (is case-significant), and begins by an
 >'^' anchor.

 I found more cases to not work: case-sensivity doesn't matter (I put
 some debug lines in and always see errors for your samples).

 The problem is that mailbox expansion is applied to folder-hooks. I'd
 call this a feature and thus your report is both valid and invalid at
 the same time... :(

 Please see: mutt_parse_hook() in hook.c and _mutt_expand_path() in
 muttlib.c. The core problem is that '^' is a shortcut for the current
 folder and thus is subject to expansion and is not treated as a regex
 special character. Basically we need a way to distinct between regex and
 "folder" special characters.

 Any ideas?

    bye, Rocco
 --