Re: mutt/2304: reply / group reply behavior broken WRT $reply_to and $reply_self

The following reply was made to PR mutt/2304; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Derek Martin <code@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: bug-any@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: mutt/2304: reply / group reply behavior broken WRT $reply_to and
$reply_self
Date: Sat, 15 Jul 2006 08:15:41 -0400

 --y0ulUmNC+osPPQO6

 On Fri, Jun 23, 2006 at 05:45:02PM +0200, Thomas Roessler wrote:
 >  > The essential problem is that when $reply_to is set (and
 >  > there is a Reply-to header), but $reply_self is unset, Mutt
 >  > does the wrong thing.  It ignores the Reply-to header
 >  > completely, whether the user is REPLYing or GROUPREPLYing.
 >  > This apparently is true of all versions of Mutt including
 >  > and prior to the current CVS.
 >
 >  Maybe I'm thinking about this the wrong way, but the behavior
 >  that you describe sounds logical to me: If I send a mail, and
 >  set a reply_to header, then that is an alternative address for
 >  myself.  So, if $reply_self is unset, mutt should ignore it.

 I take it you remain unconvinced about this?

 If I can summarize very succinctly, the problem is this:

 1. The point of $reply_to is to tell mutt to either honor or not honor
 the Reply-to header.

 2. Under the circumstances I previously described, Mutt will not honor
 the Reply-to header even when $reply_to is set, and in fact the
 recipient list will be identical in those cases, whether $reply_to is
 set or not set.  This simply makes no sense.

 I don't see how that isn't a bug, and you haven't explained why it
 isn't a bug...  If you simply can't see that behavior by looking at
 the code, then your analysis is incorrect; in which case I would
 encourage you to set up a test message, and actually TRY what I
 described, as I suggested before.  The behavior I described is
 definitely exhibited by Mutt; I was able to reproduce it with 4
 different versions of Mutt, and the problem was actually called to my
 attention by a co-worker who complained to me about it.  If you take a
 minute to test what I went through a lot of effort to describe in
 detail, you'll see that the behavior I described is actually what is
 exhibited by Mutt. Then if you apply my patch, you'll find that it
 fixes the behavior: Mutt will reply sensibly in all possible cases.

 --
 Derek D. Martin
 http://www.pizzashack.org/

 --y0ulUmNC+osPPQO6