Re: mutt/2323: feature of creating personal my_variables should be documented

The following reply was made to PR mutt/2323; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Rocco Rutte <pdmef@xxxxxxx>
To: bug-any@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: mutt/2323: feature of creating personal my_variables should be
documented
Date: Fri, 7 Jul 2006 10:03:50 +0000

 Hi,

 * Alain Bench [06-07-07 01:05:01 +0200] wrote:
 >  On Wednesday, July 5, 2006 at 13:25:01 +0200, Rocco Rutte wrote:
 >
 > > Attached is take #1 for a patch.
 >
 >     Much thanks Rocco! I'm not English, but may I suggest a nuance:

 Updated, thanks.

 >     Yet another backup usage, but with the "\$" trick to defer variable
 > expansion from muttrc parsing time to macro execution time:

 > | macro pager <PageDown> "\
 > | <enter-command> set my_old_pager_stop=\$pager_stop pager_stop<Enter>\
 > | <next-page>\
 > | <enter-command> set pager_stop=\$my_old_pager_stop
 > &my_old_pager_stop<Enter>"

 I've taken that one, too, see below.

 > > I can push the branch out to my public mutt git tree for other to join
 > > in helping...
 >
 >     I think that initial doc writing and phrasing discussions might be
 > easier (at least to me) in simple text, in mails. So anyone can
 > participate, with just English language skills. And tagging xmling
 > patching be done at final step after agreement.

 I pushed them out accidentialy already which has the advantage that one
 can send me patches. But if one doesn't want to, my scripts still
 generate unified diffs along with detailed commit messages of what I do
 why. So I see no real difference in downloading a diff or getting a diff
 via mail except that the BTS doesn't have them for reference (but it
 still saves traffic).

 I've just pushed out version 2 of the patch:

<http://user.cs.tu-berlin.de/~pdmef/mutt/patches/patch-1.5.11-cvs.pdmef.doc_myvar.2.diff>

 and the logs:

<http://user.cs.tu-berlin.de/~pdmef/mutt/patches/patch-1.5.11-cvs.pdmef.doc_myvar.2.log>

 while the last commit message explains why I chose your above example.

 1) The \$ trick is neat and once that we have such an example, I added a
 note that _all_ expansion is done by value, not by reference.

 2) The space between <enter-command> and 'set' make use of your
 contributed history adjustments... for which we also need a cross-link
 once the new history features are documented.

 Thanks!

    bye, Rocco
 --
 :wq!