Re: mutt/2304: reply / group reply behavior broken WRT $reply_to and $reply_self

The following reply was made to PR mutt/2304; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Derek Martin <code@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: bug-any@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: mutt/2304: reply / group reply behavior broken WRT $reply_to and
$reply_self
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2006 12:23:29 -0400

 --hQiwHBbRI9kgIhsi

 On Fri, Jun 23, 2006 at 05:45:02PM +0200, Thomas Roessler wrote:
 >  > The essential problem is that when $reply_to is set (and
 >  > there is a Reply-to header), but $reply_self is unset, Mutt
 >  > does the wrong thing.  It ignores the Reply-to header
 >  > completely, whether the user is REPLYing or GROUPREPLYing.
 >  > This apparently is true of all versions of Mutt including
 >  > and prior to the current CVS.
 >
 >  Maybe I'm thinking about this the wrong way, but the behavior
 >  that you describe sounds logical to me: If I send a mail, and
 >  set a reply_to header, then that is an alternative address for
 >  myself.  So, if $reply_self is unset, mutt should ignore it.
 >
 >  Mutt's current behavior lets me write a follow-up message to
 >  the same recipients that the original had.  That's a feature to
 >  me.
 >
 >  Or am I missing something here?

 Case:

 You create an e-mail destined for various recipients, but the
 reply-to address is set so that all replies will go to, say, an
 automated ticketing system, which will update the ticket and copy the
 CC list on the ticket.

 If you then subsequently reply to this message, mutt will reply to the
 original recipient list (or yourself, depending on how $reply_self is
 set), rather than sending the response to the ticketing system.

 Similar case:

 At work, we have an automated web form to deal with requests.  The
 form generates an e-mail from the person it authenticates, and sets
 the reply-to address to our ticket responder.  If the person who
 created the request e-mail replies to his own message, the e-mail only
 goes to himself, not to the ticketing system.

 More generally:

 If you've added a reply-to header to your own mail, you obviously want
 people to reply to that address...  Why would you not want your own
 replies to go to that same address?  If you didn't want it to use the
 Reply-to header, wouldn't you use a reply-hook to set $reply_to to no?

 --
 Derek D. Martin
 http://www.pizzashack.org/

 --hQiwHBbRI9kgIhsi