Re: vars naming scheme concerns

[=- Rocco Rutte wrote on Fri  2.Jun'06 at 13:02:09 +0000 -=]

> >Summarizing, this makes:
> >- no extra cost,
> >- while meaningful names are a gain for the manual users (and
> >those who don't use them but go via adapted examples first).
>
> >Where fails my logic?
>
> Personally I think you assume that people read, which I doubt
> somehow. At least we should be pessimistic enough to assume
> people don't read announcements and upgrading notes.

Well, but then they (stable users) will meet the pain anyway.
Once their attention is brought to the conflict -- no matter whether
it was through reading ahead of time or by personal experience of
mutt barking -- at least then they must check what has changed.

> As the debate continues and as I read some votes, most people
> don't seem to wonder _if_ to change but _how_ a good way could
> be (since they're afraid of the abrupt change).

That's my observation, too, given how "dev" users have been
"burnt".

> And for a really good way, we need to be very pessimistic and
> give people (users, admins, ...) plenty of time to prepare.

Fine with me.

> My idea so far (to make it more concrete): make this change
> along other re-structuring public in mutt 2.0 which follows 1.6.

Although I understand your argument about time, there is this
special opportunity that for 1.6 already configs will be broken.
Therefore it would be now a good time to have such breaking only
once instead of twice, for 2.0 _again_. :-/

That's why I'd rather make the next release already 2.0 with all
the changes, but give it some time to place announcements and do
all the other PR and stuff that you suggested.

[=- Paul Walker wrote on Fri  2.Jun'06 at 14:06:55 +0100 -=]

> On Fri, Jun 02, 2006 at 02:37:44PM +0200, Rado S wrote:
>
> > "stable" users? (Are there so many less "stable" than "dev" users?)
>
> Almost certainly, due to the very very slow release cycle. ;-)

Well ... but seriously, even though the slowness is a valid point,
I assume there are _still_ a lot of them out there. The fraction
of "brave" users to use "dev" is small, as generally in the
population it is prefered to be "safe" (stable).

Even if it seems insignificant, in fact EVERY effort counts
for a shared task, at least to show your deserving attitude.