Re: Poll: personal convenience vs. global improvement of docs

* Derek Martin <invalid@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> [2006-05-27 15:41 -0400]:
>     For the typical end user, there will be no effort.  Mutt should be
>     able to detect old configs, and automatically convert them using
>     the afformentioned conversion tool.

Mutt should not change its configuration files on its own. This could
lead to problems.

There are users who use some kind of version control, they might want
to commit or tag before the change.

It might damage configurations if they contain scripts or similar
things.

It might plainly fail if parts of the configuration are not writable
for the user.

The configuration might be shared and in use from multiple systems,
and some of these might have only older versions of mutt available.

If this change happens, mutt should be able to use the old
configuration for some while (or refuse to work with an old
configuration). But it should not change the configuration without
explicit permission.

Nicolas

PS:
I don't really care wether this change happens or not, but if it
happens, it shouldn't annoy existing users more than absolutely
necessary. And I don't like when the potential problems for existing
setups are played down.

--
http://www.rachinsky.de/nicolas