user processing delays with IMAP folders

As a heads-up before the next release: earlier today I finally tracked
down why mutt appears to "hang" and not respond sometimes at when at
work.

I'm subscribed to 127 folders, many of which rarely get new mail.  Mutt
fills up the IMAP command queue and hangs waiting for it to flush; it
then supplies more IMAP commands without stopping to deal with user
interaction or changing the folder.

As a result, I can end up waiting quite a while whilst mutt "hangs".

Behaviour cause confirmed with watching ~/.muttdebug0 grow; work-around
is: set mail_check=32767

I had previously tried raising IMAP_PIPELINE_DEPTH, but only to 50 and
it didn't help; having seen the actual behaviour, I'm dubious that
raising it to 150 would help, since it looks as though mutt just hangs
waiting for the response.  However, it might be that it's only hanging
because it's trying to queue commands.  Can anyone confirm that this
might be true and that it's worth trying to lengthen the pipeline that
far?

Regards,
-Phil