Re: mutt/2152: new read mail in IMAP folder not seen

The following reply was made to PR mutt/2152; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Phil Pennock <muttbug@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Brendan Cully <brendan@xxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: bug-any@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: mutt/2152: new read mail in IMAP folder not seen
Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2005 23:22:21 +0100

 Okay, because I'm silly I tried replying using Thunderbird on my wife's
 Windows box and when it wouldn't let me adjust the From: I saved to
 Drafts and ... it disappeared into a black hole.  Let's try again,
 using, uhm, "mutt".  *coughs*

 On 2005-12-15 at 10:52 -0800, Brendan Cully wrote:
 > not new. That code hasn't changed in years. It's not related to the
 > bug you described either - polling other mailboxes is done completely
 > differently from polling the selected one.

 In that case, one of your recent changes has had a major impact on how
 well this works, because I'd bound <Esc>$ through necessity.  So gratz
 there.  Sorry for not knowing, but this is the first time that I've had
 cause to build a +DEBUG mutt.

 >          UW is not a good IMAP server, or at least mbox is a very bad
 > back end.

 There be religious flame-war dragons.  ;^)  But I'm inclined to agree
 with you, hence choosing to deploy Cyrus at work.

 > But make sure you drop mail_check down to something sensible
 > (ie 60+). 5 is insane for IMAP. And for everything else, really.

 *CHOKES*

 Thank you for pointing that option out to me.  I'd not noticed it
 before.  "Insane" ... again, I am in complete agreement.

 > I'm currently playing with a rewrite that uses UIDNEXT instead of
 > RECENT to work around the ephemeral nature of the RECENT flag, but it
 > will actually be marginally more expensive for the server.

 I'm interested in helping to test this; would it be best for me to join
 mutt-dev@ ?

 [ imap-fetch-mail ]
 > it's a silly function, but it'll probably hang around a bit
 > longer.

 Okay, I won't worry too much about awkwardness in a transitional tool,
 then.

 >         New mail in the current mailbox is checked with NOOP or IDLE,
 > which should be very cheap.

 Not guaranteed to return status updates, though, IIRC.  I guess that's
 why you're not getting rid of imap-fetch-mail immediately though, to
 wait to see just how brain-dead some of the smaller servers are?

 Thanks,
 -Phil