Re: Weird Solaris headers (again)

On Sat, 10 Dec 2005, Steve Kennedy wrote:

On Sat, Dec 10, 2005 at 09:35:55AM -0500, Thomas Dickey wrote:

On Sat, 10 Dec 2005, Steve Kennedy wrote:
OK spoke to soon,
works with putty on xterm-color, not with Solaris DTterm
(i.e. get blank lines between headers)
That's odd - I would assume skipped lines due to wrapping behavior.
infocmp would show that as a difference in the 'bw' capability in the
terminfo.  But your comment seems to indicate that putty is working
properly and dtterm is not (with ncurses, iirc).
(dtterm has its own set of bugs - I only recall that scrolling doesn't
work).

I had to add -lcurses to LDFLAGS for Solaris (using Sun's standard
libs) or would get undefined symbols.

That's because of the header conflict in the older packages for ncurses.
The recommendation for installing ncurses on Solaris is using the --disable-overwrite, which would put the headers for example in
        /usr/local/include/ncurses/

The configure script used to force this whenever the prefix was /usr/local, but packages put it in /opt/sfw, confusing the configure script. It sets --disable-overwrite now when prefix isn't /usr

(of course some application configure scripts don't look in /usr/local/include/ncurses, but that's a different problem)

--
Thomas E. Dickey
http://invisible-island.net