Re: mutt/2149: _quit_ command doesn't, if there's new mail

The following reply was made to PR mutt/2149; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Michael Tatge <Michael.Tatge@xxxxxx>
To: Mutt Dev List <mutt-dev@xxxxxxxx>
Cc: bug-any@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: mutt/2149: _quit_ command doesn't, if there's new mail
Date: Fri, 9 Dec 2005 17:01:07 +0100

 * On Thu, Dec 08, 2005 I wrote:
 > * On Thu, Dec 08, 2005 Zefram wrote:
 > > Michael Tatge wrote:
 > > >Still i can't confirm this.
 > >
 > > What do you mean?  It doesn't happen for you?
 > >
 > > Yes.  I'm using "q", to save changes and quit; that's what doesn't work.
 >
 > Ah, ok so quit not exit.
 > *testing*
 > Yeah i got that here too quite a nasty bug, annoying kind of.

 Come to think about it i don't think that this is a bug.
 At least for mbox it would be very bad to sync the mailbox when changes
 (i.e. new mail arrives) are detected. Which is why mutt catches up with
 the changes first, and when changes happen fast in a short time, it
 loops until the changes stop. Not doing so would result in mail loss or
 a corrupted mailbox.
 It is debatable whether this fail-save behaviour should be forced on one
 file per message mailbox formats like maildir where syncing would not
 hurt but that is another question.

 Michael
 --
 If you have a procedure with 10 parameters, you probably missed some.

 PGP-Key-ID: 0xDC1A44DD
 Jabber:     init[0]@amessage.de