Re: mutt/2142: <untag-pattern> with empty argument does nothing

The following reply was made to PR mutt/2142; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Vincent Lefevre <vincent@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: bug-any@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: mutt/2142: <untag-pattern> with empty argument does nothing
Date: Thu, 24 Nov 2005 13:19:41 +0100

 On 2005-11-24 09:45:02 +0100, Thomas Roessler wrote:
 >  I can live quite well with the current limit behavior -- it is,
 >  as you say, possibly easier for beginners, and the notion that
 >  "no limit" corresponds to "all messages" makes a lot of sense.

 This is not "no limit", but either ignore or "limit to no messages"
 if one assumes that an empty pattern matches nothing (as in other
 functions). So, the fact that Mutt shows all the messages is very
 unintuitive.

 Otherwise, similarly, one should assume that <untag-pattern> with
 empty pattern means "no tagged messages" and should untag every
 message.

 >  Plus, it's safe, and it's reasonably easy to get back to a
 >  limit in case someone is indeed confused.

 The previous limit pattern may be very complicated. So, it's not
 necessarily easy to get back to the previous limit.