Pager

On 2005-10-25 14:45:02 +0200, Adeodato Simó wrote:

>      http://bugs.debian.org/334416

I guess Brendon rightly identified the underlying change as a gross
hack in the ChangeLog, using static variables to keep (a) the top
line and (b) a pointer to a header structure (the latter as an
indicator), hoping that that address isn't reused by another malloc,
and also hoping that the temporary file created upon re-rendering of
the message will look the same as the temporary file you were
looking at.

(Note that there is any number of reasons why it might look
differently.)

A cleaner solution would be to have some kind of a persistent pager
object (with all the pager's local variables as components of a
structure) that can be passed up to the index, and back down to the
pager again.  This, however, would be a bit more effort to do than
the current code.

Anyway, what I'm getting to is wondering if the bug report that this
was supposed to fix was bad enough that it merits the effort of the
correct solution or the ugliness of the current one.  I'd really
prefer to get rid of the current "gross hack."

Any thoughts on that?

--
Thomas Roessler · Personal soap box at <http://log.does-not-exist.org/>.