Re: imap/2121: cache makes mutt crash if there are too many messages

The following reply was made to PR imap/2121; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Thomas Glanzmann <sithglan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: kyle-mutt-dev@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx, bug-any@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: Mutt Developers <mutt-dev@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: imap/2121: cache makes mutt crash if there are too many messages
Date: Sat, 29 Oct 2005 07:54:37 +0200

 Hello,

 > I opened a folder full of 35055 messages (with mutt -F /dev/null -f
 > imaps://user@host/bigfolder). Mutt tried to fetch all the headers to
 > put it in the cache, but Aborts instead, simply saying "Error opening
 > Mailbox*** glibc detected *** free(): invalid pointer: 0x09afbd40
 > ***", and "   Aborted". I tried again with -d2 and didn't see anything
 > obvious. I tried again with -d5, and that debug file is attached
 > (slightly edited so as not to give out passwords). This happened both
 > on my MacOSX and Debian box (the OSX box didn't crash, but spit out a
 > whole lot of double-free warnings). The Mac was running CVS HEAD (plus
 > a few patches) and Debian was running testing mutt (1.5.9-2). The
 > muttdebug file is available here:
 > http://salinan.memoryhole.net/~kyle/muttdebug0.bz2 (I tried to attach
 > it, but it was too large.)

 please check out mutt from cvs and compile it using:

         export CFLAGS='-O2'
         aclocal -I m4 && autoheader2.50 && (cd m4 && make -f Makefile.am.in )
&& automake && autoconf2.50
         ./configure --enable-hcache --enable-imap --with-slang --with-ssl
         make AUTOHEADER=autoheader2.50 AUTOCONF=autoconf2.50

 after that run it within valgrind using:

         valgrind --tool=memcheck --run-libc-freeres=no --num-callers=10
--show-reachable=yes --leak-check=yes --error-limit=no --log-file=/tmp/valgrind
/path/to/mutt

 on the same machine and send me the logfile in /tmp if you want to get
 resolved this issue. I am currently don't read mutt-dev alot, so cc me
 if you want fast feedback.

         Thomas