Re: mutt/2107: bad IDN error message is not descriptive

The following reply was made to PR mutt/2107; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Alain Bench <veronatif@xxxxxxx>
To: bug-any@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: Karel Kulhavy <clock@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: mutt/2107: bad IDN error message is not descriptive
Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2005 14:46:34 +0200 (CEST)

 Hello Karel, and thanks for reporting us this problem.

  On Saturday, October 8, 2005 at 22:44:58 +0200, Karel Kulhavy wrote:

 > I tried to bounce e-mail message but got
 >| Bad IDN (null) while preparing resent-from.

     What was the cause? No $from set, no $hostname, something else?

 > This error message is totally undescriptive. Uses some previously
 > undefined term IDN and previously undefined term resent-from. I
 > suggest the message to contain definition of terms IDN and resent-from
 > and point user to a howto how to solve the problem.

     You're right: Even grepping manual.txt with those terms doesn't help
 understanding nor correcting problem.

  - IDN: International Domain Names (with non-Ascii characters included).
 containing the address of the bouncer (your $from).

 > I also suggest the e-mail to be resent anyway instead of this message
 > if it's technically possible.

     Well no: Even if it was possible, we don't want to send a badly
 formed mail. Some misconfiguration has to be fixed first.

 Bye!   Alain.
 --
 Followups to bug reports are public, and should go to both
 bug-any@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, and the reporter or correspondent.