Re: mutt/2092: pattern date format is ambigous

The following reply was made to PR mutt/2092; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Vincent Lefevre <vincent@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: thomasz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx, bug-any@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: mutt/2092: pattern date format is ambigous
Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2005 15:10:57 +0200

 On 2005-09-26 04:03:18 +0200, New Mutt PR wrote:
 > ISO-8601 recommends YYYY-MM-DD to be used, but this would require
 > current "date1 - date2" syntax to be changed.

 I suggest keeping the current syntax, and *adding* alternative ones.
 In ISO 8601, the "-" is optional. So, one could write YYYMMDD for a
 date and YYYYMMDD-YYYYMMDD for a date range. To allow abbreviated
 dates, one could have the following rules:

 1. When the number has 3 or 4 digits, then this means month (on 1 or 2
 digits) and date.

 2. When the number has 6 digits, then this means YYMMDD, with a year
 on 2 digits.

 Also, when the first number has at least 3 digits (meaning ISO-8601
 format, possibly abbreviated), one could allow / to be the range
 separator, as in ISO 8601.