Re: mutt/2058: Folder name completion and browser listing are handled

The following reply was made to PR mutt/2058; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Alain Bench <veronatif@xxxxxxx>
To: bug-any@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: Ryan Reich <reich@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: mutt/2058: Folder name completion and browser listing are handled
 inconsistently
Date: Sat, 17 Sep 2005 19:45:31 +0200 (CEST)

  On Thursday, September 15, 2005 at 10:25:29 AM -0400, Ryan Reich wrote:

 > should be better documented. The situation with the browser's current
 > folder and the nature of account-hook versus folder-hook is confusing
 > to say the least.

     I agree browser is subdocumented, and account-hook would need
 explicit statement of what it is not intended to do (even I don't know
 if $imap_home_namespace should be set in a-h or f-h). English mother
 tongue documentation writers are always welcome.

 > You haven't addressed the situation where when I change accounts,
 > under a particular cirumstance the settings revert to the previous
 > account's.

     I have, indirectly and partially. More precisely:

  On Thursday, September 8, 2005 at 9:58:13 AM -0400, Ryan Reich wrote:

 > start mutt in account 1 and do <change-folder><tab><select-entry>
 > <change-folder>(account 2)<change-folder><tab><select-entry>. At this
 > point, and no earlier, the variables all change to the first account's
 > but I continue to browse the second account correctly

     Let's analyse each step:

 > start mutt in account 1

     This enters acc1, triggers acc1 folder-hooks, and sets $folder=acc1.

 > <change-folder><tab>

     This initiates browsing in current $folder. From now on, you will
 always keep browsing acc1.

 > <select-entry>

     This enters a folder of acc1. Retriggers acc1 folder-hooks, without
 change in variables.

 > <change-folder>(account 2)

     This enters acc2, triggers acc2 folder-hooks, changes vars to acc2.
 This does *not* change current browsing directory.

 > <change-folder><tab>

     You browse acc1, as always.

 > <select-entry>

     This enters a folder of acc1, triggers acc1 folder-hooks, and
 changes vars to acc1.

 > the variables all change to the first account's

     True and normal.

 > but I continue to browse the second account correctly

     No: You continue to browse the *first* account. Otherwise please
 explain exactly what "(account 2)" means. I assumed it meant
 "imap://math.harvard.edu/mail/<Enter>" or such.

     Here all settings in folder-hooks reliably apply when entering a
 matching folder. Whatever entrance method: -f, <change-folder> prompt,
 browser <select-entry>, ... that's all?

     BTW how can a user in your situation (multiple IMAP accounts, and/or
 multiple local directory trees) influence automatically browser's
 current dir, out of manual navigation? What about something as
 (untested):

 | folder-hook ^imap://imap\\.fas\\.harvard\\.edu \
 | "push <change-folder>?<change-dir><kill-line>\
 | imap://imap.fas.harvard.edu/<Enter><exit>"
 |
 | folder-hook ^imap://math\\.harvard\\.edu \
 | "push <change-folder>?<change-dir><kill-line>\
 | imap://math.harvard.edu/mail/<Enter><exit>"

 Bye!   Alain.
 --
 Software should be written to deal with every conceivable error
        RFC 1122 / Robustness Principle