Re: For 1.5.9: attachment counting for index display

* On 2005.09.13, in <20050913090419.GE6845@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
*       "Thomas Roessler" <roessler@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I haven't read the patch recently.
>
> One question, though:  Would it imply that mutt would have to parse
> every single message in a mail folder?  Or even every single new
> message?

Not exactly.  It still (as always) parses messages only as necessary.
That is, if a %X appears in the $index_format, then messages are parsed
when they are displayed on screen (when the $index_format is evaluated).
If they are never displayed, or if the %X appears within a false
conditional (e.g., %?M?), they are never parsed.

If the user applies a ~X pattern, those messages to which the pattern
is applied are parsed.  (I.e., "~X 2" would parse all messages in the
folder, whereas "~f joe ~X 2" would parse all messages from joe.)

> In that case, be prepared for it to increase mutt's memory
> consumption significantly.  (I.e., in that case, I wouldn't like it
> to be committed.)

But again, its steps here are to parse the message, determine the
attachment information (a simple integer), and free the parse tree, then
to move on to the next message.  That is, it never uses more memory than
it requires for a single message's parse tree, and it never has.  See

My best proposal as yet is to cache that result, so that a parse is
required only once per message per session, and still killing the parse
tree once that datum is obtained.  If the attach-allow, etc. settings
were changed, the cached values would be invalidated.

--
 -D.    dgc@xxxxxxxxxxxx        NSIT    University of Chicago