Re: mutt/2043: mutt invariably crashes when reading certain selected

The following reply was made to PR mutt/2043; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Alain Bench <veronatif@xxxxxxx>
To: bug-any@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: Steven Schneider <steven_schneider@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: mutt/2043: mutt invariably crashes when reading certain selected
 e-mails
Date: Fri, 26 Aug 2005 10:43:00 +0200 (CEST)

  On Wednesday, August 24, 2005 at 12:08:59 PM -0600, Steven Schneider wrote:

 > My environment is now set to en_CA.ISO8859-1

     LANG env var? Fine.

 > * Alain Bench <veronatif@xxxxxxx> [050820 06:33]:
 >> those [GnuPG] "--charset utf-8" options are good only if your
 >> terminal has an UTF-8 character set.
 > I'll have to edit that to the correct value.

     Better remove completely the "--charset utf-8" option. Modern GnuPG
 is fortunately able to follow automatically the current locale, even on
 a -HAVE_LANGINFO_CODESET system (in a limited way though).

     BTW this unfortunate $pgp_*_command example seems to come from
 mutt-1.5.10/contrib/gpg.rc, and should perhaps be corrected and
 commented. Thomas?

 > doesn't that only affect mutt when using gnupg?

     Of course.

 > Since setting my local in my environment I definitely see the
 > uppercase A tilde beside a copyright sign.

     And what before locale setting?

 > Yes, mutt did indeed crash with the downgraded libiconv.

     Please check if it crashes with added 2 lines:

 | set charset="us-ascii//TRANSLIT"
 | charset-hook ^us-ascii$ cp1252

     BTW whatever result, you can keep the second line in your muttrc: It
 can help workaround some broken mails from Hotmail and such.

 > Let me know if more information is required.

     Thank you very much for the OpenBSD infos and patches. I was not
 able to spot a crash trigger. The announce seems to talk about possible
 segfaults, not signal 6 aborted. But well: Crash in libiconv stock and
 pl0, no crash in pl1... Hum... Nothing sure yet.

 Bye!   Alain.
 --
 Mutt muttrc tip to send mails in best adapted first necessary and sufficient
 charset (version for East Europe Latin-2/CP-852/CP-1250 terminal users):