Re: mutt/1914: as I read my mail the N never changes,

The following reply was made to PR mutt/1914; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Alain Bench <veronatif@xxxxxxx>
To: bug-any@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: Stan Benoit <sbenoit@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: mutt/1914: as I read my mail the N never changes,
 so each time mutt is run it says the messages are new
Date: Sun, 14 Aug 2005 20:41:55 +0200 (CEST)

 Hello Stan, and thanks for your report.

  On Monday, October 4, 2004 at 2:47:34 PM -0400, Stan Benoit wrote:

 > System: Darwin 7.5.0 (Power Macintosh)
 > as I read my mail the N never changes, so each time mutt is run it
 > says the messages are new

     There is a known deficiency in the HFS filesystem of some versions
 of MacOSX: File's last access time is updated after a delay. This
 perturbates Mutt's detection of new mailboxes. This deficiency is
 supposedly fixed in MacOSX 10.4 / Darwin 8.0 / Tiger (confirmation
 wanted). In the meantime Mutt configure option --enable-nfs-fix
 workarounds the problem (yes: NFS!). More infos in December 2004
 comp.mail.mutt thread "N-flag stays put after reading" on Google. Stan,
 could you please confirm it works so we can close mutt/1914?

 > Compile options:
 > +LOCALES_HACK

     You should not use that --enable-locales-fix on recent Darwin.

 Bye!   Alain.
 --
 Give your computer's unused idle processor cycles to a scientific goal:
 The Folding@home project at <URL:http://folding.stanford.edu/>.