Re: mutt/2019: menu_context itches (Re: your mail)

 On Tuesday, August 9, 2005 at 7:33:06 AM +0200, Oswald Buddenhagen wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 09, 2005 at 02:06:11PM +0900, TAKAHASHI Tamotsu wrote:
>> menu_context         -> menu_indicator_margin
>> (not in 1.5.9)       -> menu_context
> the function change of menu_context might be a problem

    *Supposedly* not so big a problem, because the margins around
indicator feature is not long established: It was included in 1.5.[89]
only. And the menu overlapping pages feature doesn't exist yet. Also
default value (=0) is immune to function change. Debian package uses 0.
Impacted users are only those that follow dev versions *and* discovered
the feature *and* made use of it. Hopefully those users are able to
follow the proposed change.

    I would *not* have proposed a naming change in anything vaguely
traditional. Unless there would have been a tremendous functionality
benefit in return. Pure naming changes don't qualify, in my humble.

> possibly much more than naming both these options <*>_page_overlap and
> thus making the change obvious (by pager_context becoming invalid).

    Feature $pager_context and it's name are a plain part of Mutt's
history, somewhat as old as the pager itself. Renaming it would probably
annoy users at a magnitude near to the /alternates/ var to command
change. For no functionality benefit.

    How much "overlap" is clearer than "context", renaming
$pager_context would be a false move.

Bye!    Alain.
--
« if you believe in conservatism, I've got a bridge to sell you. »