Re: For 1.5.9: soft fill [patch-1.5.8.dgc.softfill.3]

* On 2005.04.02, in <20050402121339.GC31551@xxxxxxx>,
*       "Alain Bench" <veronatif@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> > Now the entire LHS is held in reserve. It's debatable whether this is
> > better, but it's definitely simpler.
>
>     I agree, but let's pose the debate: Old v2 %=XY gives right-hand
> priority over *one* given Y left field, while new v3 %*X gives right
> priority over everything at left. Important left-hand infos may be
> hidden on narrow screen, which imposes carefull choice of fields and
> safe right width limitations. Compared v2 and v3 behaviours have each
> pros and cons. Ok: Simpler v3 wins.

Good explanation.  I agree -- this is something I was aware of, but
between two options where some might prefer a and others b, I chose the
simpler.

Is there any interest in having it both ways?  I don't recall at the
moment whether there would be technical issues with supporting both, but
among people using the patch, is the v3 approach sufficient?

>     BTW how can you truncate beginning of a fixed width field? Like a
> long /home/a/alain/long/path/filename.ext, displayed on 20 chars as
> "ng/path/filename.ext"?

I don't think there's a way now, but I've wished for one myself.

>     But on 15 columns term, normally truncated beginning of name comes
> back overwriting end of line:
>
> | rtin Jø[Mads Ma
> | omas Glanzma[Th
> | rtin Jø[Mads Ma
> | [Brendan Cully]
> | rtin Jø[Mads Ma

This is indeed a problem I'll need to look into.

>     And while stress testing that effect, doing many terminal resizes, I
> also had at random in attachment menu black screens (staying black after
> ^L), and even one segfault:
>
> | #0  menu_redraw (menu=0x80da218) at menu.c:841
> | 841       if (menu->dialog)
> | (gdb) print menu
> | $1 = (MUTTMENU *) 0x616c702f
> | (gdb) print menu->dialog
> | Cannot access memory at address 0x616c7057.

This too. :)  Thanks for the stress-testing!

>     If this patch is commited, may I suggest default value of
> $attach_format gets changed, old "%.40d%> " sequence replaced by
> "%d%* ". This both removes the annoying fixed 40 chars limit, and
> ensures right-hand [type infos] are never pushed out of screen.
>
> | set attach_format="%u%D%I %t%4n %T%d%* [%.7m/%.10M, %.6e%?C?, %C?, %s] "

This sounds like a good move to me -- the difference will be in whether
people feel that it's more useful to see more of the filename, or to
see the content-type and other details in the brackets.  My sense would
be that filename is most important, but once you've seen the left-hand
side of it the c-t and such become more important, and the right-hand
part of a long filename isn't as important.  That's exactly the kind of
situation when you want to use softfill.

--
 -D.    dgc@xxxxxxxxxxxx        NSIT    University of Chicago