Re: mutt development and road map

On Fri, Jul 15, 2005 at 10:36:13AM -0400, Derek Martin wrote:
> I think it's worth elaborating on that...  Perhaps you could provide
> an example of the right way, and contrast with the wrong way?  :)

wrong way is using tabs just for space compression.
right way is using tabs for indents, spaces for padding (as was already
said).
the editor can screw you by indenting with a supposedly equivalent
amount of whitespace instead of just copying the leading whitespace of
the previous line.
the editor can actually help you by automatically padding up to the
column of the first non-whitespace char after the innermost unmatched
paren. of course it can do more elaborate things as well, but i think
this generally gives little benefit for a lot of work (and it has to be
adapted to many details of a particular coding style).