Re: Patch for mutt 1.5.8 that makes it remember menu position

Hello Haakon,

 On Tuesday, March 1, 2005 at 8:20:46 PM +0100, Haakon Riiser wrote:

> to make mutt remember its last position in the mailbox menu (mutt -y)
> when returning from a mailbox.

    Great feature, great usability enhancement. Bravo, and thanks! This
behaviour is way better than current, and should probably have been the
"natural" behaviour since the beginning. I'm not even sure if current
should be retained thru configuration: One can always do a <first-entry>
when needed (Thomas?).

> I'm posting it here for comments and criticism.

 · Fails when folders have been inserted or removed before position thru
(un)mailboxes.

 · Interactions with <toggle-mailboxes> to the directory browser and
back seem a little bit unnatural to me... I don't have a clear idea of
what would be ideal, though. Probably unsync movements in both modes?

 · Why have you stopped at mailboxes browser? The directory browser also
needs sensible positioning. Like when going out of a subdir, cursor
should be on said subdir. Initial selection should be last selected
folder, or last attached file. See wishes #1268/#1411.

 · Previous point probably wants separate folder and file context
(default path and so on). See wish #950 and associated Debian Wish
#126569. <URL:http://bugs.guug.de/db/95/950.html>.

 · Needs a name:

| --- mutt/PATCHES      Tue Nov  6 19:59:33 2001
| +++ mutt/PATCHES      Tue Nov  6 19:59:42 2001
| +patch-1.5.8.hr.sensible_browser_position.2

Bye!    Alain.