Re: What should go into 1.5.7?

On Wednesday, 26 January 2005 at 15:31, Lars Hecking wrote:

> > With the resulting configure script, I of course get the related error:
> >
> >   ./configure: syntax error near unexpected token
> > `AM_CONFIG_HEADER(config.h)'
> >   ./configure: ./configure: line 1333: `AM_CONFIG_HEADER(config.h)'
> >
> > Looks like I need a newer autoconf, but I've not been able to build one
> > successfully -- dependency hell, it would seem.

I think this may just be some kind of automake mismatch. A good start
would be to get rid of the automake files in the build directory and
then rerun automake --add-missing.

>  Which version of autoconf do you use?
>
>  To my knowledge, there are certain constructs in configure.in that only
>  work with autoconf 2.13, but Thomas has told me it works for him with
>  autoconf 2.59 - the latest indeed.

remember this?

ifdef([AC_LIBOBJ], , [define([AC_LIBOBJ], [LIB[]OBJS="$LIBOBJS $1.o"])])

I've been using ac2.5 for ages now myself, with no problems.

>  autoconf-2.13 does curently not work either. One needs to comment out
>
> AC_GNU_SOURCE
>
>  in configure.in, and add
>
> /* Define to `int' if <types.h> doesn't define.  */
> #undef ssize_t
>
>  to acconfig.h.

oh well. I'm looking forward to dropping ac 2.13, if only because we
can also expect at least automake 1.6, and maybe the possibility of
working dependencies.