Re: Extremly slow browsing of folders

On Tue, Sep 28, 2004 at 05:49:50PM +0200, Thomas Glanzmann wrote:
> Hi,
>
> * Vincent Sanders <vince@xxxxxxxxxxxx> [040928 17:37]:
> > After a lot of debugging with strace etc. it turns out mutt does
> > several getgrgid and getpwuid calls while browsing folders (several
> > calls for each entry, consisting of over 20 system calls and numerous
> > calls to retrieve the group and password db to process). Obviously
> > these calls were assumed to be inexpensive (in terms of wall clock
> > time) but when being used on a system where the directory service is
> > not local e.g. over an ssl link to a loaded ldap server getgrgid and
> > getpwuid become *extremely* expensive.
>
> Don't fight symptoms. - Install a nscd.

hmmm thanks for that...yes I do have a caching architecture installed
but its simply prudent to try and reduce the load mutt places on
systems, as soon as theres more than a few users with a few mailboxes
the load starts rising significantly...

I would have thought a simple change like this to reduce system calls
and generally lower the resource requirements would be useful? Perhaps
not? Anyway the post and code is there for future reference.

mutt seems to use literally several orders of magnitude more calls in
this area than *any* other application on my systems.

Perhaps the c library should cache the results instead of retriving
the entire password or group "file" and processing it every time these
calls are made.

--
Regards Vincent