Re: Problem with extracing attachments from S/MIME mails

On Mon, Aug 16, 2004 at 15:08:47 +0200, Bernhard Walle wrote:
> Hello,
>
> there's a big problem with S/MIME encrypted mails created with
> Microsoft Outlook Express that contains attachment: the attachment
> cannot be extraced!
>
> The pager shows correcty
>
> [-- Die folgenden Daten sind S/MIME signiert --]
> [-- Anhang #1 --]
> [-- Typ: multipart/alternative, Kodierung: 7bit, Größe: 0,6K --]
>
> test
> [-- Anhang #2: startcygwin.bat --]
> [-- Typ: application/octet-stream, Kodierung: 7bit, Größe: 0,1K --]
>
> but in the attachment menu (`v'), there's only a file smime.p7m.

I only have this problem if the message is both: encrypted and signed. I
think that is due to the fact, that those messages are first smime signed and
then smime encrypted. When receiving those messages mutt can decrypt the
first layer resulting in a signed message, i.e. one with only the smime.p7m
attachment.

Mutt's pager seems to be able to detect that a message is indeed signed and
then calls the smime_verify command, which the attachment viewing function
does not.

I don't know wether it is possible to work around that ...
As I get those very rarely I decrypt and verify such a message outside of
mutt and then merge in the result (with some deletion of Content-... headers)
via mutt's "edit message" command.

Best regards

--
Udo Schweigert, Siemens AG   | Voice      : +49 89 636 42170
CT IC CERT, Siemens CERT     | Fax        : +49 89 636 41166