Re: mutt/gpg social attack

On 2004-08-23 09:46:02 +0200, Thomas Glanzmann wrote:
> http://www.securityfocus.com/bid/10929

That's not new. As the credit page says:

| Ademar de Souza Reis Jr. <ademar@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> disclosed this
| vulnerability in 2001.

But it's probably a good thing to remind people of it every now and
then. Maybe a few sentences about that problem in the manual wouldn't
hurt either.

> That wouldn't work for me because my gpg process needs about a second to
> verify a signature. And that's why I hat to receive gpged eMails, btw.
> :-)

Sorry for that :-)

Normal verification doesn't take noticable time on my PIII/500. It was
noticable but still not annoying on the P90.

What is annoying is when gpg decides it is time to check the trustdb or
when it wants to download an unknown key and the keyserver is slow to
respond - that can take a minute or more.

        hp

--
   _  | Peter J. Holzer      | Shooting the users in the foot is bad.
|_|_) | Sysadmin WSR / LUGA  | Giving them a gun isn't.
__/   | http://www.hjp.at/   |     mozilla bug #84128