[BUG] mutt 1.2.5 sends mail with Bcc: header

Hi,

I'm seeing a problem running mutt 1.2.5i and mutt 1.4.1i with exim 4.33.
When a mail is sent with Bcc recipients, each recipient sees the complete
BCC header in the message, which makes Bcc pointless.

The exim people say this is a MUA problem - I attach their response,
which appears to be in line iwth RFC2822 requirements (it appears to be
the requirements of the MUA to correctly provide headers.)

Could this issue be resolved please?

--
Russell King
 maintainer of:  2.6 PCMCIA      - http://pcmcia.arm.linux.org.uk/
On Tue, 13 Jul 2004, Russell King wrote:

> Someone on one of our boxen which runs exim 4.33 complained that mails
> sent from mutt which had recipient specified as 'BCC' contained a Bcc
> header with those recipients listed there, even when passed on to
> other systems.
>
> I have since confirmed that this is indeed the behaviour, and even when
> a message is sent from one exim 4.33 system to another.
>
> I don't think this is expected behaviour, and I suspect is something
> you'd want to fix for exim 4.40.

Too late for 4.40, but in any case, I doubt that it is a bug because
this comes up as an FAQ very frequently. This is the FAQ entry:

Q5004: I've recently noticed that emails I send with a Bcc: line are being
       delivered to their final destination with the Bcc: line still present.

A5004: Exim removes Bcc: lines only if you call it with the -t option (i.e.
       when it is acting partly as an MUA). It does not remove Bcc: lines that
       are present in incoming SMTP mail or command-line mail that does not
       use -t. Indeed, it should not remove them, because only the
       initiating software (i.e. the MUA) can tell what to do with Bcc:
       lines; any MTA software has to leave them alone. This is what RFC 2822
       has to say about Bcc:

         "The Bcc: field (where the "Bcc" means "Blind Carbon Copy") contains
         addresses of recipients of the message whose addresses are not to be
         revealed to other recipients of the message.  There are three ways in
         which the Bcc: field is used.  In the first case, when a message
         containing a Bcc: field is prepared to be sent, the Bcc: line is
         removed even though all of the recipients (including those specified
         in the Bcc: field) are sent a copy of the message.  In the second
         case, recipients specified in the To: and Cc: lines each are sent
         a copy of the message with the Bcc: line removed as above, but the
         recipients on the Bcc: line get a separate copy of the message
         containing a Bcc: line.  (When there are multiple recipient
         addresses in the Bcc: field, some implementations actually send a
         separate copy of the message to each recipient with a Bcc:
         containing only the address of that particular recipient.) Finally,
         since a Bcc: field may contain no addresses, a Bcc: field can be
         sent without any addresses indicating to the recipients that blind
         copies were sent to someone.  Which method to use with Bcc: fields
         is implementation dependent, but refer to the ``Security
         Considerations'' section of this document for a discussion of each."

Regards,
Philip

ph10@xxxxxxxxxxxxx      Cambridge, England. Phone: +44 1223 334714.

--- End Message ---