Re: a Message-ID proposal

David Laight <david-mutt@xxxxxxxxx>:

> Dunno what OpenBSD does, but NetBSD will try not to re-use the same
> PID number 'very quickly', but it doesn't assign sequential numbers,
> and, under 'stress', might re-issue an old number in an arbitrarily short
> timeframe.

I was glancing through the source of Exim today, vaguely wondering why
incoming messages keep getting glued onto the end of Russian spam, and
I noticed a comment about file names sometimes being generated from
the time and process ID, so therefore Exim waits for one clock tick
before exiting. Nice and careful.

(I rather doubt that Exim itself is to blame for the problem with the
Russian spam, by the way, though it could be misconfigured in this
particular case.)