Now I found one more such email, here are the first 27 lines:
(indented)

  _Part(Wed_May_26_21_05_38_2004_805)----

  by amavisd-new at localhost.linux.local

  --FBBJgEOSAOerUJIT

  --py13wRIzy9nU46ee

  On Wed, May 26, 2004 at 01:22:07PM +0200, Tobias Reif wrote:
  > Ich bin auf Suse 9.0, mein Mutt ist
  >=20
  > $ mutt -v
  > Mutt 1.4.1i (2003-03-19)
  >=20
  > $ rpm -q mutt
  > mutt-1.4.1i-140
  >=20

There are no headers, the above is the first part of the actual file.

Previously I suspected that erratic output (invalid mail structure,
illegal characters, incorrect encoding labels, etc) by some mailers
caused Mutt to hiccup. But the above email is part of a thread between
two Mutts.

I now switched to Mutt 1.5.6i, I hope the mails I receive won't get
garbled.

Tobi

--
Vim users, don't forget to