Re: Using the builtin editor

On Wed, May 05, 2004 at 11:24:54PM +0100, Paul Walker wrote:
> > with set editor=builtin and being in the compose menu, pressing e for
> > edit-message causes an error.
>
> Confirmed - pressing 'e' to try and re-edit the message definitely doesn't
> work. On the terminal, I keep getting stuff like:
>
> sh: line 1: builtin: /tmp/mutt-nova-1001-553-1: not a shell builtin
>
> printed.

You have to unset $edit_hdrs to re-edit a message with builtin editor.
(I don't think builtin editor can re-edit the message -- it just
append your message to the bottom of the message, AFAIK.)

See compose.c for the reason:
(1) Mutt edits the message with $editor if $editor is not builtin.
(2) Otherwise, mutt calls $editor to edit headers if $edit_hdrs is set.
(3) Otherwise, mutt uses builtin editor.

With (2), mutt tries to invoke "builtin" as an _external_ editor.
Moreover, mutt tries to edit _headers_ with builtin.

Is this a bug?

--
tamo