Re: [broken-patch] unbind command

On Mon, Dec 15, 2003 at 12:14:30PM -0600, David Champion wrote:
> "unbound" key. Therefore, binding to noop is not precisely the same as
> unbinding, but the sole difference is that the mapping table does not
> shrink. The operational effect is the same.

Except that experimental evidence points to a difference.  If you bind
a key in the generic map, then that key has an effect, even in, say,
index menu mode.  If you bind that same key in the index menu, the key
is overriden just for the index menu.  If you subsequently unbind only
the one in the index menu, the key stops working at all there.  (It
still uses the generic mapping for other menus, but the behavior is
different from the generic binding only to the generic binding plus a
local binding then a local unbinding.)

To put it another way:
 GEN_bind != GEN_bind + LOC_bind - LOC_bind

Or rather, the current binding/unbinding procedures are not directly
analogous to addition and subtraction.  Which, to my mind, they ought
to be.

Ciao,
 Allister

--