Re: Bug report: make install does not respect prefix for doc

On Wed, Sep 03, 2003 at 07:23:44PM +0200, Thomas Roessler wrote:
> Please use configure's --with-docdir parameter to indicate where
> documentation is supposed to go.

I can't use that option with Stow, since the location which Mutt will
use to access the documentation is not the same as the location the
documentation is to be installed in. Stow sets up symlinks from the
directory given to configure and points them to the directory where
the application is really installed.

In order to get the correct behaviour from the Mutt install system I
had to leave --with-docdir at the default location (since the symlinks
will exist in the normal place, relative to --prefix). Normally for
the installation of a package using stow it is only necessary to
override "prefix", however with Mutt I also have to override "docdir"
when calling "make install".

Is there any reason Mutt does not generate a Makefile which installs
documentation relative to the "prefix" variable? The directories bin,
man, etc and share are all relative to "prefix" it is only "doc" which
is not.

If there is no specific reason not to, then I would have considered
the normal behaviour to set docdir in the Makefile to be relative to
prefix, rather than being hard coded by ./configure. This will allow
Stow to work correctly while still allowing users to override docdir
if needed.

I would consider this a bug, so I am planning on submitting it to the
bug database, but it you do not consider it to be a bug then please
let me know.

Some relevant lines from the generated mutt-1.4.1/Makefile are
included below:

----------------------------
prefix = /usr/groups/security/local
exec_prefix = ${prefix}

bindir = ${exec_prefix}/bin
datadir = ${prefix}/share
sysconfdir = ${prefix}/etc
mandir = ${prefix}/man
docdir = /usr/groups/security/local/doc/mutt

Thank you,
Steven Murdoch.