From: Mike Rain <ip@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: August 16, 2004 5:30:02 PM EDT
To: dave@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [IP] more on New Website: John Gilmore vs. 'Papers, Please'

Dave,

I am a dues-paying member of the ACLU, EFF, and Amnesty International. The rights and freedoms our founding fathers wrote into the constitution are awesome and precious and are what make this country great. We remove them at our peril.

But I'm scratching my head trying to figure out why I should disagree with Mr. Bray on this issue. I just don't feel oppressed in any way when an airline asks for my ID. There are people who want to commit mass murder on innocent people in order to make a political or religious or racist point. That is unacceptable. I understand full well that asking for ID will not stop all terrorists. But I have to figure that it will help. Locking my door when I leave the house won't stop all burglars, but that doesn't mean I should just give up and leave my doors wide open.

Requiring identification from people who seek to buy a gun or drive a car seems like a reasonable precaution. If asking airline passengers for identification will help prevent mass tragedies, even a little bit, then it is such a trivial sacrifice that I can't believe people are filing lawsuits about it. Am I missing something?

- Mike

Begin forwarded message: