[IP] yrs from 2003 Re: Louis Menand on Microsoft Word

Begin forwarded message:

From: geofral@xxxxxxx
Date: August 16, 2004 12:50:13 PM EDT
To: dave@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: yrs from 2003 Re: Louis Menand on Microsoft Word

Dear Dr. Dave:

     I have kept this for a long time to ask you what word processing, OS and ISP you would recommend for the elderly, whether somewhat computer literate or just getting started. My dad, 81 (an enthusiast for the basic functions for many years but not sophisticated about the soft or hardware, just wants it to work!) needs something less troublesome that Word and Windows, if such is possible, and has many neighbors who would happily get started if they had the most elderly-user friendly set-up...

     I soldier on with what I find at work and what I have inherited and cobbled together at home, but I'm a systems analyst, I have help handy - he doesn't have the time, energy or stamina for the frustrating struggle.

     He has a new HP Pavilion mx 703 with Windows XP and Microsoft Works with basic Word (an impulsive purchase on sale when his very old Win98 froze up in Safe Mode), both of which are a pain, and uses att.net's webmail, but that is also a huge disappointment. About to get him comcast cable so the slowness is not a factor,any advice would be welcome.

     Have any of your human factors colleagues done a column on optimum set up for senior beginners?

     Hope you had a lovely trip and a good summer, all best, Jacqueline Fralley